Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Good Hair"

Who knew you could learn so much from a Chris Rock movie!!!

Before this movie came out in '09 I wrote a post on it talking about how much I wanted to see it, life happened and I didn't even think about it again let alone check for the premiere date. Well, better late than never, a week ago I picked up a copy from my local library and it was such an eye-opener. It's been a long time since I've been so fascinated by....anything. Guess you can call me a jaded twenty-something year old.

I was just like 'WoW.' Its one of those experiences where its like you have an idea but you have no idea to what extent. After this film I am convinced that Black Women Keep The American Economy Running. And no, I am not exaggerating. If we collectively stopped spending today, there will be no American economy to speak of. You think its bad now, the whole thing would just crumble like a deck of cards.

From this movie, came gems such as: "you're supposed to relax your hair" from a 3-5 yr. old girl.
"If you hair is relaxed, white people are relaxed; if your hair is nappy, white people ain't happy" from comedian, Paul Mooney.
"I feel like my face just got stung by a thousand killer bees" from male white hairdresser, Jason.
"The last time I was allowed to touch a broad's hair was in in 1986 before the market crash" from dorky black guy with glasses in the barbershop.

These are the ones that stand out in my mind right now but there were many, many, many more gems in this film. I watched the movie twice -- a rare thing for me to do.

No comments: