Sunday, February 15, 2009

Forgot about the Magic of the Shower-Cap

So, last night, I twisted my hair with safflower oil and used my ever trusty Kinky Curly Curling Custard to achieve a soft hold. Now, the issue with my hair is that when I put oil and goodies on it at night, it looks shiny and sleek and nice, when I wake up in the morning it's a different story. I have to re-apply the oil and a bit of the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (Only if I don't saturate my hair with Kinky Curly Curling Custard, if I want a soft hold).

Any way it looked so shiny, nice, defined,and soft last night that I didn't just want to put on a scarf and on the hair and call it a night. Then out of the corner of my eye I spied my seldom used shower cap, and a big ol' smile came on my face.

I woke up the next morning and Voila! still soft, shiny and mucho defined (soft hold)!!! Out of habit I still dipped my finger in the safflower oil and then (same finger) in the Kinky Curly Curling Custard and proceeded to unravel my twists - LUV.

Last night was basically the epitome of my coily/curly fro (fro because I keep cutting my hair, I need to stop it). It was loosely coily/curly and ultra adorable. I had to make a pact with myself last night and turn into a Nazarite - No Scissors Shall Touch This Hair From Henceforth.

I don't care how split the ends are, I'll just grin and bear it, as they say, and let grow out way longer before I even think of a little trim. Besides, I know where the split ends came from. Last year I straightened my hair with a cheap flat iron that needs to be thrown in the garbage (or recycled) and a spray that was composed mostly of alchol. Yea, that'll give you split ends in two seconds flat.

So, not only do I have to stay from the scissors, I also have to stay away from flat irons, especially cheap ones. Ok, to achieve the ultimate coily/curly fro if your hair is ultra coilly and prone to instant dryness like mine:

Wash hair
Leave in Conditioner mixed with safflower oil (see favorite things) or coconut oil
Add some Kinky Curly Curling Custard (not too much to achieve a soft hold)
Proceed to twist hair in sections
Slap on shower cap when finished
Tie on hair scarf over shower cap
Wake up, unravel twists
Enjoy ultra soft, shiny, defined coily/curly hair

Next time, if nothing else comes up, I'll talk about my most favoritest conditioner ever!

No comments: