Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Here's Another One: Tassanee - Natural Hair Beauty of the Month



I couldn't let the whole month of April fly by without posting a natural beauty of the month.

When and Why did you decide to go natural?
I decided to stop relaxing my hair(last relaxer march '07) and focus on growing healthy natural hair when my fiance told me about a dream he had of our wedding with my hair down my own hair down my back. I knew I wasn't going to get my relaxed hair to grow to that length(I didn't know what I do now about caring for relaxed hair), so I began to consider growing my natural hair out. Long story short I transitioned for a year, big chopped on March 5th 2008, and haven't looked back since.

Who does your hair mostly, i.e. hairdresser, aunty, urself, e.t.c.?
I've only had three professionals in my hair on this journey, the stylist who was a co-worker of mine at Trade Secret who did my big chop, the stylist I went to get evened up (who didn't really even it up), and my old stylist who I went to for a trim after i blew my hair out for a length check. I love her to death, but she WON'T be doing my hair with a the tugging and tearing she was doin, had me bout to cry for my poor hair. I prefer to do my own hair because no one else will take care with it like I will, it's FREE, and experimenting and learning how to do new things=fun!

What r ur "IT" Hair Products?
The products I think are AMAZING and would recommend to anyone are: Unrefined Shea Butter, Castor Oil, EVOO, Mega Tek, Baking Soda, IC Fantasia Gel, Aloe Vera Gel, Aloe Vera Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar, Coconut Oil, my Goody Jojoba Infused Brush....let me stop b4 I get too carried away!

Who is ur natural hair inspiration?
ESPERANZA SPALDING!!! I love that chick she epitomizes a great sense a nappy confidence!!! I love her hair, her style, her great voice, and I love that she plays the cello!!!


Words of Wisdom to natural hair folks or those considering it.
My advice to any and every natural be she new or vet, considering, transitioning, bald, rocking a twa, or swanging hair down to there....ALWAYS DO YOU. There will be haters and lovers just as in anything else you do in life. Unfortunately some of those against you or trying to bring you down will be those closest to you. Don't let it get to you. Facing the adversity I have has only made me stronger and more confident. Always reach out for support when you need it(that's what these sites are for), and give support to those in need. As much as I love that we are unique for being ourselves, I love it even more when I see our numbers rising! Maybe one day it won't be so "different" to see sistahs walking down the street, on tv, or in the office with the audacity to have their hair the way God had the nerve to make it grow out their scalp. Always hold your nappy head high, cause NAPPY IS FLY!!

No comments: